You’re engaged, and it’s exhilarating! Here you are sitting in one of life’s big moments and you know is worth capturing. You want to make sure all of those happy feelings, smiles, hugs and kisses are preserved with a professional photo shoot. We totally get it, and that’s why here at Manifesto we include a complimentary engagement session with every wedding package we offer. Please read on for some helpful questions and tips to ensure that we capture you at your best!
The first step to picking out your outfit(s) is to do a little soul searching. Here are some questions you may want to ask yourself to get the wheels turning:
How can you work in your personalities and love story into these photos? For example, if you are more of an outgoing, bubbly, fun-loving couple, you may want to incorporate some bright colours or bold patterns into your outfits.
What type of mood do you want your photos to portray? Do you want them to be more romantic? Try on some soft materials in pastel shades with some lace ascents and maybe some pearls.
- Bring one to two outfits and a variety of accessories (hats, jewellery, scarves, bracelets etc…) and let your photographer help you choose what they think looks best with the scene if you’re stuck.
- Wear something you feel comfortable and gorgeous in. If you feel stiff and restricted, you will most likely look uncomfortable in the photos.
- Make sure your clothes are made to compliment your body type.
- Dress weather appropriate. The more comfortable you are, the easier it will be for you to be yourself.
- Feel free to coordinate your look and wear complementary colours with your partner in the photos, but don’t dress exactly the same.
- Make sure your clothes are clean, fresh, ironed and lint free. Bringing a lint brush is a good idea.
- Don’t wear an outfit containing thin, tiny, stripes or writing/large graphics. These will take away from the photos.
- Shoes are often forgotten about when choosing an great outfit. Dirty, scuffed up shoes aren’t so awesome in pictures.
Nails, Hair and Makeup
- Ladies, get a manicure or give yourself one for your shoot. There will always be a close-up shot of the ring on your hand.
- Get your hair and/or makeup done professionally. For make-up we suggest checking out our Makeup Guide.
- Don’t ask your hairstylist to try a new style on the day of your shoot. If you want to try a new look, try it a couple weeks before the shoot, just in case you’re not a fan of it.
- Consider your wedding theme when choosing your engagement session location and wardrobe.
- Feel free to bring props with, but make sure to run it by your photographer first.
- Pinterest is a great source for inspiration! However, this is your chance to make your engagement session your own. Don’t feel pressured to copy another person’s idea.
This is not the time to worry about being mushy with each other. We want you to be comfortable with each other and the camera. The more natural you are with each other, the more natural your images will look. If you want to kiss, kiss! If you want to hug, hug! If you want to laugh your head off, go crazy! Feel free to be yourselves and let us capture your connection. Relax, this is supposed to be fun! Just be yourselves, have a great time and let us focus on capturing your best side.
Displaying your Images
Think ahead, how will you use your engagement session images? Will you be making invitations or Save the Date cards with them? Will you be hanging them on your wall in a frame, or is a canvas a better choice? Will you be giving gifts to your parents? Do some measuring on your wall and dreaming before the session, so that you can work with your photographer to get the shots you need.
Hi how are you doing I was thinking about engagement photos how much are they and do you have a wedding package? What’s your website. Thank you
Great tips! That photos is darling too! :)